Sunday, August 27, 2006


Who is Bob Williamson?

Bob is a fondly remembered 'folk comedian' from Bolton - he appeared on the legendary Lanky Spoken Here! along with fellow Boltonian Bernard Wrigley, The Fivepenny Piece, Gary & Vera Aspey and others. Starting in the 1970s along with other entertainers who became famous through their folk club performances (Mike Harding, Bernard Wrigley, Jasper Carrott, Fred Wedlock, Max Boyce, etc.), Bob made three classic comedy albums, appeared on TV and radio and toured the country and the world. Sadly for all of us, and especially him, he injured himself badly and is now unable to perform. But his legacy lives on. And so does he, still in Bolton! But let Bob tell you about himself - he can do it better nor I can:

Early Daze

"I asked my dad which part on my child hood he enjoyed most... he said the conception. He used to carry me everywhere on his shoulders... bloody uncomfortable in the car! Then my mother tells me I've got my fathers eyes... I feel dreadful now. On my dad's 80th birthday he informed me he didn't want to go into a home... especially mine. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a Formula 1 racing driver, But God gave me a personality so that ruined that. I lived for a while in a tower block flat, not much but at least it was a roof under my feet.

Left school and in order to keep myself off the streets I got a job as a postman... ...but was fired for writing OH YES THEY DO across every envelope that said PHOTOGRAPHS DO NOT BEND. I was destined to be a doctor but I failed just ONE exam (my 11 plus). I gave up smoking using acupuncture... I pricked the cigs with needles.

Bob met his first wife at a séance. He was a regular and she was a medium. Then he had a psychic girlfriend but she left him before they met"

Showbiz

Bob was in a few pop groups who, curiously, went on to bigger things the moment Bob left.

Such as Bob and Garfunkel, and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick, Titch and Bob. And, most frighteningly THE JACKSON 6!

Haven't I seen him somewhere?

Aye, he was in a couple of episodes of the award winning comedy series Phoenix Nights, created by fellow Boltonian Peter Kay. He auditioned for the club twice, but failed to get a booking, in spite of his monkey partner stealing the show.

What records did he make?

Bob made three highly acclaimed albums - his first, Super Turn on Joe Stead's legendary Sweet Folk All label was followed by two albums on EMI's One Up label Bob Williamson's Greatest Hits Vol. 6? and Still Hazy After All These Beers. Here's a picture of Bob with his albums and the monkey as proof:

One much sought-after record Lanky Spoken Here, issued on EMI, featured Bob with other Lancashire artists including Gary & Vera Aspey, Bernard Wrigley and of course The Fivepenny Piece. The record was a Lancashire dialect tutorial, interpersed with humorous songs. The 'Lanky' words and phrases were 'translated' into English by the posh-voiced former BBC newsreader Robert Dougall, among others. The album is now available on CD - for more details see the Lanky Spoken Here! CD page.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what are you doing now? Not much info about you, is your team member princess pammy really you in drag?(if not loose the groupie man it don't do much for your image) At least your last lady friend was pretty and female. Good to know your still going any chance of seeing you back on stage or any new material?

Mon Sept 04, 12:59:00 pm  
Blogger willy heckerslike said...

Rocks what?

Mon Sept 04, 11:10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Williamson AKA Trevor Nushpie, born Ilsington, Devon 1954.

Yes, its true.

My name is Bob Williamson, son of William and Bob, born 1954, in Bolton Townleys Hospital.

In 1974, Trevor Nushpie stole my life.

I met him in the union bar on Oxford Road Manchester, following my gig, where I had them rolling in the aisles. He enticed me back to his place in a run down quarter of Bolton, called The Rundown Quarter, in Bolton. It was, and still is a particularly run down quarter, but not as run down as Tonge Moore, in the shithole quarter. He wanted me to read scripts and gags he had written and wanted to sell. He introduce me to his landlady Mrs Substitution-at halftime. She was a piece of work, blonde hair with roots delicatly dyed black, 12inch stilletos and a 4inch miniskirt.

The story is long and barely believable, but I will tell it. I will show photos ad super 8 cine film of how he:

Kept me locked in his understairs cupboard for 30 years, writing gags for him and his mates, Mike, Jasper, Bernard and David Copperfield, the little shit.
Why he cannot be the father of Mrs Substitution-at halftime’s son Calamine.
How I tried to escape, with dire consequences.
Why his Ford Anglia really ended up in Tony Knowles swimming pool.
Why he failed to get on Opportunity Knocks.

Keep a look out for my hard hitting blogg page, where the truth will alway come out, where the truth is real, where the truth hurts. Where the truth about Bob Williamson will finally be told.

Mon Apr 02, 11:01:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tue Apr 03, 11:56:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i admire Bob and his work and listen fondly to his brill stuff , thanks Bob PS Im starvin' keep all your kippers for tea

Wed Apr 25, 04:01:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i try singing the gnome song and the gardener one to my son he thinks its really funny,
ive been trying to get a c.d. with them on
any idea where i can get one?
sonia x

Thu Jun 10, 01:43:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anyone know I can buy still hazy after all these beers please

Wed Dec 23, 04:22:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home